We’ll demystify what sustainability is and how you can become one
Before we reveal what you can do to become a sustainability superstar, let’s take a look at what sustainability means. While you may be familiar with sustainability, environmentally friendly and being green – what that means to a company, and to SRP, is about what we are doing and planning for each day. When companies, nonprofits and government organizations talk about sustainability, they are actually referring to a larger concept: sustainable development.
So what is sustainable development? We asked our sustainability experts and they said: It’s complicated. But, they said it can be broken down into an assortment of concepts and ideas. Those have led to a generally agreed upon framework that organizations use.
Think of it like a checklist of things to do that most organizations agree will ensure future generations have access to clean air, water and necessary natural resources. The checklist would look something like this:
- How will this decision affect people now and in the future?
- What is the expected environmental impact?
- What is the economic impact?
- What is the social impact?
To operate sustainably, organizations try to make decisions that consider all of those areas. It is about balancing the impact to the three pillars: environmental, economic, and social, and trying to meet current and predicted future needs.
For more information, check out:
Applying the concept of sustainability
Whew! It can make your head spin! But, not to worry, we are going to show you how we are making sustainable decisions, and how you can too. First – let’s review how we’ve taken the three pillars and created our own sustainable framework working with community members:
- We are proactively addressing our customers’ and communities’ priorities (social impact – check!)
- We are strengthening our management of natural resources (environmental impact – check!)
- We are maintaining our strong commitment to fiscal responsibility, while responding to a rapidly changing industry (economic, current and future needs – check, check, check!)
We put this into action by creating a set of goals with specific targets and action plans. Our 2035 Sustainability Goals were approved last October and are in full swing. And, we are close to achieving our goal of meeting 20% of our retail energy requirements through sustainable resources by 2020.
We can’t do this alone though. Because this isn’t really about SRP, it is about you: our customers and the communities you live in. You are vital to this effort and are already helping create a sustainable future every day.
And now for the big reveal: you are already a sustainability superstar! Give yourself a pat on the back. Here are the ways many of you are already sustainability superstars.
- Helping build solar projects for Valley nonprofits by supporting the solar for nonprofits program.
- Caring for the environment through Trees for Change and Earthwise Energy™ .
- Conserving resources, and saving money, by using less energy.
Being a sustainability superstar can be as easy as turning off the lights – but we know you won’t stop there, and neither will we. We are committed to creating a sustainable future, and that means continuing to work with the community we’ve served for over 100 years.
Did you know?