Planning for the future is no easy task. However, if we work together, we can move toward one reliable future.
SRP delivers more than water and power. We are working hard to deliver a better tomorrow for generations to come. At the center of everything we do are the communities we serve.
5 ways SRP is planning for the future today
In this post, we’re sharing initiatives that are the stepping stones to a better tomorrow. Together with you, we are moving toward one reliable future.
Successfully delivering water and power to the Valley for over 11 decades has required a lot of planning. Here are five ways SRP is planning for the next decade.
1. Planning for the future by conserving the Valley’s water
Saving and storing water have been at the heart of SRP’s plan to manage our water supply for more than 100 years. We’re always looking for ways to save water and keep it safe.
One way we plan to continue doing that is by committing to cut water use by 45% at our facilities by 2035.
There are 2 simple ways you can help save water:
- Conserve the amount of water you use.
- Use water-smart products for your home.
2. Planning for the future by being ready for drought
Here in Arizona, it’s normal for droughts to last for decades. That’s why it is vital that we plan for the future of our water here in the desert. So when it’s especially dry, even for years at a time, we’re ready.
Unlike most U.S. cities, Greater Phoenix has 4 available water sources:
- Salt and Verde river water
- Colorado River water
- Reclaimed water
- Groundwater, which is water stored deep in the ground
These extra sources help us make sure there’s enough water for our needs, and we promise to always look for ways to save our precious water.
How to do your part:
- Educate yourself about the Valley’s water supply.
- Landscape your yard with low-water-use plants
3. Supplier diversity
At SRP, we want our contractors and suppliers to be as diverse as the communities we serve. Last year, we partnered with 675+ diverse suppliers.
SRP proudly partners with:
- Small businesses
- Minority-owned businesses
- Woman-owned businesses
- Veteran- and service-disabled veteran-owned businesses
4. SRP 2035 Sustainability Goals
We are pleased to be one of the first American utilities to have broad sustainability goals. SRP’s 2035 Sustainability Goals lay the groundwork for building a reliable, sustainable future, starting today.
With these goals, we are committed to meeting the needs of our customers for generations to come.
By 2035, we will:
- Reduce carbon emissions by 62%
- Reduce water use at our facilities by 45%
- Divert 75% of solid waste from landfills
- Help enable 500,000 electric vehicles in our service territory
5. Solar for Nonprofits
Solar for Nonprofits is a program that equips local organizations with solar energy systems that lower their energy costs. Since 2007, 49 solar power systems have been installed at Valley nonprofits.
As a result, that’s more dollars for:
- Wildlife rescue and rehabilitation
- Hot meals for hungry families
- Safe housing for victims of domestic violence
Valley nonprofits have saved valuable dollars by spending less on electricity costs because of this program. In fact, the program has saved community groups more than $600,000 to date.
Here’s how you can help:
- Support the program for as little as $3 a month.
- Learn more and sign up.
In other words, we need you to help us achieve these goals. By doing our part, with you, we’ll move forward together.
To learn more about these community efforts and the Valley’s water supply, please join us each year at SRP’s free Water Expo. The 2020 event took place already, so stay tuned for next year’s info.