For many of our customers, everyday life has suddenly changed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We want you to know that we’re here for you – whether that means keeping your power on and waiving late-payment fees or letting you change your price plan anytime.
With schools closed, events canceled and Valley residents working from home, many of us are spending more time at home than usual. This has some customers asking about how to address increased energy use.
Know your price plan
If you’re on one of our time-of-day plans like EZ-3 or Time-of-Use, pay attention to your peak hours. During peak hours, electricity costs more, so it’s best not to use major appliances during these hours.
In April, on-peak prices are not much different than the lower-cost off-peak prices, so it’s easy to save. Just avoid using major appliances (including pool pumps) during peak hours, and you’ll still likely save money on one of these plans. In fact, if you’re on the Time-of-Use Price Plan, you may actually see more savings than normal because of reduced usage during the morning on-peak hours of 5–9 a.m.
As the weather gets hot, precooling your home during the off-peak period when energy costs are lower is the best way to keep saving on these plans. If you can’t precool your home this summer, check your bill to see if you’re spending more than you would on the Basic Price Plan.
Why we offer different price plans
SRP is a community-based not-for-profit utility. We set the price of energy based on how much it costs to produce and distribute. We designed time-of-day plans to keep prices low for the customers who choose these plans and can limit energy use during on-peak hours. That’s when energy is most expensive to produce.
Customers on our optional time-of-day price plans can save money on their energy bills by shifting their energy usage to times when power is less expensive to produce (off-peak). When the 300,000+ time-of-day customers achieve success on the plans together, it helps keep prices as low as possible.
These plans allow customers to save more than they would on a traditional plan by taking advantage of off-peak hours. For example, customers on EZ-3 and Time-of-Use enjoy lower prices than the Basic price plan for 21 and 18 hours of the day, respectively, on weekdays and all hours of the day on weekends.
But remember: time-of-day price plans are optional. We offer a no-peak price plan where energy is the same price at all times of the day.
Check your energy use
If you’re concerned you might be using too much energy, there are a few ways to check your energy use:
- If you’re on the Time-of-Use, EZ-3 or Electric Vehicle price plan, you can check your bill to see if you’re spending less than you would on the Basic Price Plan, which has no on-peak or off-peak hours. This information is included on every statement.
- You can find details about your hourly usage on My Account or the SRP Power mobile app.
- Call us anytime at (602) 236-8888. We can explain the different plans and how they work. We can also perform price plan comparisons for most residential customers who have 12 months of usage history.
Switch your price plan if you need to
We offer a no-peak price plan where energy is the same price at all times of the day. You can change your price plan anytime by calling us at (602) 236-8888 or through My Account. And if you already changed your price plan in the past 12 months, we’re waiving the waiting period now and after the pandemic.
Here are the price plans we offer:
- EZ-3: On the EZ-3 Price Plan, you’ll want to limit major appliance use from 3–6 p.m. or 4–7 p.m. on weekdays. Weekend hours are all off-peak.
- Time-of-Use: If you’re on the Time-of-Use Price Plan or Electric Vehicle Price Plan, you should limit major appliance use from 5–9 a.m. and 5–9 p.m. between November and April and 2–8 p.m. between May and October. Just like the EZ-3 Price Plan, all hours are off-peak on weekends.
- M-Power: Although there are no on-peak or off-peak hours on the M-Power plan, the in-home unit allows you to closely watch how much power you are using in real time. This level of control is sometimes helpful, especially in times of uncertainty.
- Basic: This price plan doesn’t have on-peak or off-peak hours. If you’re worried about sticking to your off-peak hours, give us a call to switch to the Basic Price Plan.
Save $23 per month with the Economy Price Plan
SRP’s Economy Price Plan is offered year-round, but we want to make sure you know about it now. If you qualify, we’ll take $23 off of your bill every month. (If you have M-Power, we put $23 on your box each month.)
Depending on how many people live in your home and how much everyone earns, you may qualify for this monthly discount. See if you qualify.
Call us when you need us
If you find that you are spending more money on a time-of-day plan due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you can call us anytime to change your plan, even if you’ve done so in the last 12 months. We’ll continue to offer this after the pandemic ends. That way, you can go back to your original price plan if you like.
If you are experiencing difficulty paying your electric bill for any reason, call us. We can make arrangements that can help avoid a worsening financial situation. Call us 24/7, even on holidays, at (602) 236-8888. We’re here to help.