For many of our customers, everyday life is still being affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Because of this, many of us are spending more time at home than usual. This has some customers asking what they can do about increased energy use.
Know your price plan
When it comes to your price plan, you have options. Whether it’s changing how you use energy based on what plan you’re on or choosing a different plan, we want you to do what’s best for your family.
If you’re on one of our time-of-day plans like EZ-3 or Time-of-Use, pay attention to your peak hours. During peak hours, electricity costs more, so it’s best not to use major appliances during these hours.
Precooling your home during the off-peak period when energy costs are lower is the best way to save on these plans. If you can’t precool your home this summer, check your bill to see if you’re spending more than you would on the Basic Price Plan.
Why we offer different price plans
SRP is a community-based not-for-profit utility. That means we set the price of energy based on how much it costs to produce and distribute it. We designed time-of-day plans to keep prices low for customers who:
- Choose these plans
- Can limit energy use during on-peak hours
On-peak hours are set based on when the most energy is being used at the same time by all customers. During this time, energy is the most expensive to produce.
Customers on time-of-day price plans can save money on their energy bills by using power when it is less expensive to produce. In other words, power costs less during off-peak hours.
For example, compared to our Basic Price Plan, customers on EZ-3 enjoy lower prices for 21 hours of the day during weekdays. Those 21 hours are a great time to run the dishwasher, do laundry and use other high-energy appliances.
Curious how much energy common appliances cost to use during on-peak hours? See our appliance calculator.
Time-of-Use customers enjoy lower-cost off-peak hours 18 hours of the day on weekdays. Both plans are charged off-peak hours all weekend long.
When the 300,000+ time-of-day customers achieve success on the plans together, it helps keep prices as low as possible.
But remember, time-of-day price plans are optional. We offer a basic no-peak price plan where energy is the same price at all times of the day.
Check your energy use
If you’re concerned you might be using too much energy, there are a few ways to check your energy use:
- If you’re on the Time-of-Use, EZ-3 or Electric Vehicle price plan, you can check your bill to see if you’re spending less than you would on the Basic Price Plan. Again, this plan has no on-peak or off-peak hours. You can find this information on every statement.
- You can view details about your hourly usage on My Account or the SRP Power mobile app.
- Call us anytime at (602) 236-8888. We can explain the different plans and how they work. If you have 12 months of usage history, we can perform price plan comparisons for most customers.
Switch your price plan if you need to
You can change your price plan anytime by calling us at (602) 236-8888 or through My Account. If you have already changed your price plan in the past 12 months, we’re waiving the waiting period now and after the pandemic.
Here are the price plans we offer:
- EZ-3: On the EZ-3 Price Plan, you’ll want to limit major appliance use from 3–6 p.m. or 4–7 p.m. on weekdays. Weekend hours are all off-peak.
- Time-of-Use: If you’re on the Time-of-Use Price Plan or Electric Vehicle Price Plan, you should limit major appliance use from 5–9 a.m. and 5–9 p.m. between November and April and from 2–8 p.m. between May and October. Just like the EZ-3 Price Plan, all hours are off-peak on weekends.
- M-Power: There are no on-peak or off-peak hours on the M-Power plan. The in-home display box allows you to closely watch how much power you are using in real-time. This level of control can be helpful, especially in times of uncertainty.
- Basic: This price plan does not have on-peak or off-peak hours. If you’re worried about sticking to your off-peak hours, give us a call to switch to the Basic Price Plan.
Save $23 per month with the Economy Price Plan
SRP’s Economy Price Plan is offered year-round, but we want to make sure you know about it now. If you qualify, we’ll take $23 off your bill every month. If you have M-Power, we put $23 on your box each month.
Depending on how many people live in your home and how much everyone earns, you may qualify for this monthly discount. See if you qualify.
Call us when you need us
If you find that you are spending more money on a time-of-day plan due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you can call us anytime to change your plan.
This is true even if you’ve done so in the last 12 months. We’ll continue to offer this after the pandemic ends. That way, you can go back to your original price plan if you like.
If you are having trouble paying your electric bill for any reason, call us. We can make arrangements that can help prevent a worsening financial situation. Call us 24/7, even on holidays, at (602) 236-8888. We’re here to help.