Canal Convergence occurs each year to bring the desert to life and tell the story of water along SRP’s Arizona Canal in Old Town Scottsdale. SRP proudly partners with the City of Scottsdale for this FREE, educational and fun event that is held each fall.
What is Canal Convergence?
At its core, Canal Convergence is a celebration of community, sustainability, art, education and history. The best part — it’s free!
As a provider of water to the Valley, it’s important for SRP to share information about the canals with the community. This is a great event to get up close to one of our beautiful canal spaces and learn a new thing or two about how we bring water to the Valley.
Each year, visitors enjoy art displays throughout Scottsdale, including inspiring large-scale public art installations and interactive artworks by local and international artists, a variety of hands-on activities, live music and performances.
Walking tours of the event will be offered for free and tend to fill up quickly! Reserve your spot for one of the tour dates now.
Arizona Canal: Home to Canal Convergence
Arizona Canal is the largest canal that SRP manages and it was selected as the perfect location to host Canal Convergence in 2012. Outside the event dates, the Arizona Canal is a popular recreational site due to its proximity to Scottsdale Fashion Square, exciting bike paths leading through hidden tunnels, bridges overlooking the sparkling canal water, and permanent art installations. The canal connects the Valley with a safe, accessible path popular with bike riders, dog walkers, joggers and even strollers!
The Arizona Canal Company began construction of the canal in 1883. That year, the Weekly Phoenix Herald declared the canal would be “one of the most extensive and valuable enterprises that our valley has yet known.” At 42 miles long, the canal was indeed an extensive and impressive project. During construction, large work crews would pick up and move their camps as the work progressed, and these crews completed the canal in just two years. In 1894 the canal was lengthened by an additional 5 miles, stretching from the Granite Reef Diversion Dam in the east to roughly 75th Avenue in the west.