With the holidays well underway and our days full of holiday decorating, parties and shopping, who has the time to worry about saving energy? For those with electric-powered furnaces and water heaters, winter energy usage could still require a little mindfulness.
The holidays are well underway, and saving energy is likely the last thing on your mind. After all, with decorating, parties and shopping, who has the time? That’s why we’re providing these simple and quick tips to turn your wintry to-dos into energy- and money-saving wins.
Save energy this winter while staying toasty and warm
We may not experience blizzards in the Valley, but chilly desert nights can still leave you with a not-so-cheery bill. Before you start layering on the blankets, try these stay-warm hacks to keep your house holiday cozy.
- Set your thermostat at 68° to 70° when you’re home and at 65° or lower when you’re away. And if you have a programmable thermostat, this step takes a lot less effort!
- Keep drapes open during the day to help let in the heat from the sun and close them at night to help retain it.
- Change the setting on ceiling fans to send airflow upward and run the fan on low to help circulate warm air trapped near the ceiling.
Adding sparkle and shine
Almighty LED bulbs are the way to go when you’re decorating for the holidays. They produce less heat, use less electricity and last longer. Those LEDs will be there season after season to light up holiday festivities.
You can buy SRP-discounted LEDs online at the SRP Marketplace. Once you have your LEDs, don’t forget to follow our safety tips when decorating with them.
Shopping for that perfect gift
Does your list include a gadget lover or someone looking to be more green? We have gift ideas for both.
- If this is the year for a new appliance, look for the ENERGY STAR® label. Appliances with this label are more energy efficient, making them both environmentally and wallet-friendly.
- For the tech-savvy, get them started on turning their house into a smart home. With the latest technology, nearly anything can be controlled from a mobile app.
- For more gadgets and goodies, check out SRP Marketplace, where you can get instant rebates and home delivery.
Still need some gift ideas? Be sure to see our holiday gift guides.
1 thought on “Ways to save energy this winter”
Pingback: Holiday wishes and reminders | SRP Connect!