The holidays are well underway, and saving energy is likely the last thing on your mind. After all, with decorating, parties and shopping, who has the time? That’s why we’re providing these simple and quick tips to turn your wintry to-dos into energy- and money-saving wins.
Staying toasty and warm
We may not experience blizzards in the Valley, but chilly desert nights can still leave you with a not-so-cheery bill. Before you start layering on the blankets, try these stay-warm hacks to keep your house holiday cozy.
- Set your thermostat at 68° to 70° when you’re home and 65° or lower when you’re away.
- Keep draperies open during the day to help let in the heat, and close them at night to help retain it.
- Change your ceiling fan setting to send air flow upward, and run the fan on low to help circulate warm air trapped at the ceiling.
- If you have a heat pump, make sure to get it checked. They can use a lot of energy if they’re not running efficiently.
Adding sparkle and shine
All-mighty LED bulbs are the way to go when you’re decorating for the holidays. They produce less heat, use less electricity and last longer. Those LEDs will be there season after season to light up holiday festivities.
Once you have your LEDs, don’t forget to follow our safety tips when decorating with them.
Shopping for that perfect gift
Does your list include a gadget lover or someone looking to be more green? We have gift ideas for both.
- If this is the year for a new appliance, look for the ENERGY STAR® label. Appliances with this label are more energy efficient, making them both environmentally and wallet friendly.
- For the tech savvy, get them started on turning their house into a smart home. With the latest technology, nearly anything can be controlled from a mobile app.
- For more gadgets and goodies, check out the new SRP Marketplace, where you can get instant rebates and home delivery.
Welcoming house guests
If family is in town, don’t forget to let them know that energy costs more during peak hours. Ask them to turn off lights when they aren’t in a room, do laundry during off-peak hours and unplug those pesky energy vampires.
As a reminder, in observance of Christmas and New Year’s Day,all hours Dec. 25 and Jan. 1 will be lower-priced for customers on the SRP Time-of-Use™, SRP EZ-3™, Electric Vehicle, Residential Demand Pilot or Customer Generation price plans.
Follow these simple tips to save energy and money during the holidays and throughout the winter season.