This year, Earth Day marks the holiday’s 51st anniversary. This annual Earth-loving day is a great reminder to evaluate all of the ways that we can make better choices for the planet and each other. No gesture is too big or too small.
To celebrate Earth Day 2021, we’re highlighting 51 ways we’re helping the environment alongside our customers, community members and partners.
Here’s how we’re working together to protect the Earth every day of the year.
Ways to save the planet and some money
- Get a $1,000 rebate when buying or leasing a new electric vehicle (EV).
- Get a $250 instant rebate on Level 2 EV home chargers on SRP Marketplace.
- Business customers can get a $1,500 rebate per Level 2 EV charging station port installed at their place of business.
- Take advantage of year-round savings on energy- and water-saving devices through SRP Marketplace.
- LEDs use 75% less energy than regular bulbs. Make the switch and save.
Explore SRP’s sustainability initiatives that conserve Arizona’s resources.
- SRP is on track to meet our goal of adding 1,000 megawatts of utility-scale solar energy to our system by 2025.
- We’re investing in solar, including two new major projects that will create enough energy to power the equivalent of 100,000 homes.
- Navajo Generating Station, once the largest coal-powered plant in the western U.S., closed in 2019 and we will recycle more than 90% of the decommissioned plant, from steel down to the cement.
- Every year we’re reducing our carbon footprint. By 2050, CO2 emissions intensity will be reduced by 90%.
- We’re working to store 1 million acre-feet of water underground. That’s 325,851,431,889.13 gallons!
- We put sustainability at the heart of all that we do. By 2035, sustainability criteria will be included in 100% of buying-related decisions.
- 75% of solid waste will be diverted from landfills by 2035, followed by 100% of waste by 2050.
- We’ll also divert 95% of non-hazardous industrial solid waste.
- We’ve partnered with TerraCycle to divert soft plastics. So far over 500 pounds of plastic has been collected and diverted from the landfill.
- We’ve joined with Arizona State University (ASU) in a new strategic partnership to develop shared solutions in the areas of sustainability, technology and education, with a core goal of creating stronger and more resilient communities in the future.
- By renovating instead of demolishing our headquarters, we’ve been able to recycle, reuse or revitalize 92.6% of construction materials. That included diverting 1.5M cubic feet of construction materials from landfills, which equals 1,120 loaded 30-foot dump trucks.
- We’re reducing the amount of water used in our day-to-day operations with a promise to cut water use at SRP buildings by 45% by 2035.
- We’ll deliver 3 million megawatt-hours of yearly energy savings by 2035.
- We’re preparing for an electric vehicle future with infrastructure upgrades as well as customer-focused programs and initiatives that reward customers for kicking gas guzzlers to the curb.
- Our team of scientists and water leaders manages 8.3 million acres of protected watersheds.
- Since 2018, we planted 2,500 trees in partnership with the cities of Tempe, Phoenix and Mesa and will plant another 500 trees in Glendale this year. In Mesa alone, we planted enough trees to remove 5,400 tons of CO2 in 2020.
- We manage 3,000 acres of conservation land to help preserve and protect the habitats of wildlife and endangered species.
- To protect birds, we have installed protective devices like insulating covers and bird flight diverters throughout our facilities and electrical systems.
Ways our employees are saving the environment
- SRP’s 2021 E-Waste and Paper Shred Event for employees generated 3,150 lbs. in paper for shredding and recycling and generated 7,224 lbs. of e-waste, recycling more than 460 personal electronic items being donated to two local nonprofits.
- Our fleet of more than 140 electric vehicles (EVs) is one of the largest in Arizona.
- SRP has the largest workplace charging program in the state. We offer charging stations for 200+ SRP workers who own EVs.
- The SRP Green Team has 500 passionate members who make a difference for the environment and our communities.
- Introduced in 1973, the employee carpool program has more than 340 participants.
- The vanpool program began in 1979 and now has over 200 riders.
- Employees and contractors can check out SRP bicycles to sustainably commute between SRP buildings and other nearby locations.
- SRP’s Textile Recycling Program normally transforms used SRP monogrammed clothing from field staff and employees into spray foam insulation for houses. Last year the clothes were recycled into flame-resistant masks to protect our employees.
Ways residential customers are helping protect our planet
- Through the Solar for Nonprofits program, customers have helped community organizations save $600K in energy costs.
- More than 3,000 customers (and growing!) help us prevent wildfires and protect our water supply through the SRP Healthy Forest Initiative™, a program aimed at restoring Arizona forests through strategic thinning.
- We received more than 6,000 applications for rooftop solar installations in 2020.
- In 2020, we installed 460 battery storage systems, which allow customers to store and use energy from a large battery installed at their home.
- Currently, there are more than 3,500 customers in our EV Community, and many of them are limiting their energy use during peak times with the EV Price Plan.
- As part of our Shade Tree Program, customers planted more than 5,300 free trees in 2019.
- Right now, over 12,000 customers have signed up for solar plans.
- Energy efficiency program members saved enough energy to power 36,000 homes for a year.
- Over 6,000 ENERGY STAR® homeowners saved 24,000 megawatt-hours (MWh) of energy.
- In 2019, SRP’s Energy Scorecard helped customers save 14 million kilowatt-hours (kWh) of energy.
- More than 320,000 customers have cut paper waste by signing up for paperless billing.
- On average, M-Power customers reduce their yearly energy usage by 12%.
- Through the Weatherization Assistance Program, SRP provides up to $6,000 for energy-efficient home upgrades.
- More than 120,000 customers lowered their energy usage through Time-Of-Use TM and EZ-3 plans.
- We all do our part to conserve water.
See how commercial customers are boosting their bottom lines and lowering their environmental impact.
- Upgraded lighting alone can save a small business up to 35% on energy costs. Don’t just take our word for it, read about how Bashas’ did just that.
- More than 23,000 commercial customers have cut paper waste by signing up for paperless billing.
- More than 14,000 businesses lowered their energy use during peak hours with Time-of-Use plans.
- You can upgrade to electric equipment for less with an electrification rebate from SRP.
- Last year, business customers that participated in energy efficiency rebate programs helped save over 181 million kilowatt-hours, enough energy to power 10,000 homes for a year.
Everyone doing their part imperfectly is better than a few doing it perfectly. Whether you’re repurposing a single-use plastic item at home or switching to an electric vehicle, every little bit counts toward leaving the Earth a better place for future generations.
Make an impact with us this Earth Day
Learn more about how SRP is making the Valley a better place for us all.